Social Content Influences, But Does Not Drive Participation
Interesting numbers from a recent study from iProspect and JupiterResearch (based on a poll of 2,223 respondents in January):
• One in three Internet users report their purchase decisions are influenced by sites with social content; with Amazon.com being the most influential.
• Search engines get more visitors than social networking sites. Forty percent of adults surveyed visit Yahoo! on a daily basis versus 12% for MySpace.
• YouTube appears to skew male. Twenty-eight percent of men visit the site at least once a month compared to 12% for women.
• The younger the user, the more likely they are to visit and interact with a social networking site. Sixty-eight percent of 18-24-year-olds surveyed visited MySpace over the past month versus 65% for YouTube and 42% for Facebook.
• Up to 90% of visitors to social networking sites don’t post content on the site.